Without doubt, the best way to kick-start your Saturday or Sunday is with a mimosa cocktail – equal parts of sparkling wine and orange juice with a dash of Cointreau liqueur – or a Bloody Mary.
Although you can keep your Bloody Mary simple, I think it’s worth going all-out! You can also make up a jug in the morning and store in the fridge so you don’t spend the day making cocktails for guests.
– 40ml of a good quality vodka or London Dry-style gin
– Big Tom Spiced tomato juice
– Teaspoon of horseradish sauce
– 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
– Pinch of celery salt
– Squeeze of lemon
– Tabasco to taste
– Finish with a lemon wheel, celery stick and grating of black pepper
For extra luxuriousness add a dash or two of Port or Sherry, and for extra heat and a different flavour profile to Tabasco why not play with one of the many hot sauces now on the supermarket shelves.